Friday, September 25, 2009

Wegle Wegle War Eagle.....

Share it Please
It was a beautiful afternoon on August 31. I had just dropped my son off at his football practice and was heading back home. For those of you who do not know, I live in Alabama. Keep that in mind as you read the story. While driving down the road I saw a large bird in the road in front of me. It was getting a bite off of something that was dead in the road. It started to fly up in the air as I got a little closer and I noticed that it was lighter around its head. I thought that it was an owl, which I have seen in that area. As I got right in front of it, it landed on a tree. I very surprised to see that it was a bald eagle. They are not indigenous to this area. I immediately called my husband and told him to get ready. I got home, grabbed my husband and my camera and head back to where I had seen it before. I was so sad to see that it was not there. Jonathan decided to turn down the road next to where I had seen it and there it sat. Just beautiful. It was such a rare treat that the local paper ran the picture that I took in the Sunday paper. My only fear now is that some Alabama bubba is going to hunt it down and have it mounted over his fireplace.

I told my husband that this must have been a sign of good things to come for my Auburn Tigers. The Saturday after I saw the eagle, we went to Auburn for the first game of the season where we chant "Wegle, wegle, War xxxx Eagle, kick 'em in the butt Big Blue". It must have worked because we won.

Just a side note of information. I do not typically have good luck with birds while I am driving. Once while driving home from a baseball game something flew into my windshield. I just thought that it was a chicken that had fallen off of a large truck up the road. The next morning we discovered a baby owl stuck in the luggage rack of our mini van. A few weeks later I was driving to a ball game and a mallard duck (you know the ones with the green heads) flew right into my windshield. For days you could see the streak where it slip up the windshield. It does not end there. About a year later I was leaving baseball practice ( do you see a theme in my life?) traveling down a major road. The sun was setting and I could see something strange in the road. It looked like a shadow, but as I got up on it I could see that it was a peacock!!! It was trying to run, but not doing a very good job of it. I couldn't dodge it because there was a car coming in the other direction. I just slowed down as much as I could and hit it. I felt sorry for the beautiful bird, but I couldn't help but chuckle as I look in my rear view mirror and see peacock feather flying out from behind my car. After all of that bad fortune with the birds I am just glad that I didn't kill the Eagle!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Money Saving Mom

MoneySavingMom.com

Follow The Author